Many of our clients come to us with concerns about their rights as an employee in California being violated. Whether it is through misclassification, an overtime violation, discrimination, or another type of employment claim, we have observed that these clients are generally not alone. In fact, more times than not, companies commit these blatant violations on a regular basis and as a matter of policy. At Hardin Law Group, we have seen firsthand that there is power in numbers.

Class Action Employment Lawsuits in California

Sometimes, it takes a large group of mistreated co-workers coming together for a company to admit their wrongdoing and pay the individuals the financial compensation they deserve.  Known as a class action lawsuit, one or several persons sue on behalf of a larger group of persons, referred to as “the class.” The employee named in the class action is the class representative, but all members of the class are treated equally. Our California employment lawyers know how to win a class action lawsuit against an employer violating its employees’ rights.

How Do I File a Class Action?

Class actions are governed by federal and state rules. A class action lawsuit provides people who have been wronged, financially or otherwise, with an opportunity to seek justice for injuries that may have been caused by unlawful employment practices. The first step in determining whether you are a part of a class is to see if you can meet these requirements:

  • Numbers. There must be enough people in your position, or in a similar position as you, that joining together to file a class action lawsuit is the most practical option.
  • Common issue. Your employment claims need to raise common legal and factual issues, making it efficient to deal with all claims together.
  • Typical cases. The named plaintiffs, the representatives, have the same claims and defenses as the others in the class.

After reviewing the facts of your case with you, your employment attorney will take this information before the court in order to ‘certify’ the class. The court determines if the above elements exist, and it certifies the class if a class action is the best way to manage the claims. Certification is usually granted when the class wants the defendant to do or stop doing something, such as paying employees for time worked, or requiring that employees take meal and rest breaks.

Employer Workplace Violations

California and federal employment laws are quite clear about how an employer must treat an employee. Many employers, however, elect to ignore the law and instead take advantage of their employees through:

  • Wage and hour violations
  • Improper background checks
  • Late payment of wages or commissions
  • Failing to pay vacation and/or personal time
  • Unpaid overtime
  • Failing to observe paid sick leave laws
  • Requiring employees to skip meal and rest breaks
  • Failing to properly reimburse employees for business expenses, such as smartphones
  • Retaliating against workers who report unfair workplace conditions
  • Unequal pay for the same job

These are just a few examples of the way you may have been mistreated by your employer. Discuss your specific situation with our experienced employment class action attorneys.

Here at Hardin Law Group we are committed to find justice for individual and groups. We are willing to offer you representation and guidance in cases regarding anti-trust, consumer protection, defective and dangerous products, employment law and even securities litigation. If you have been wronged by big corporations, banks or your employers, call us for consultation.

The Right Employment Law Attorney

If you have been mistreated by your employer, contact Hardin Law Group, an employment law firm with offices in Los Angeles and Orange County with experience in representing employees just like you.

If you or someone you know has been harmed by an illegal labor/employment practice, you want experience and success on your side. Contact the knowledgeable lawyers at Hardin Law Group today.

(949) 337-4810, (310) 606-2122, or (844) 615-1122

Free Case Evaluation

Contact Us